Sunday, July 7, 2013

Refreshing, Fresh Snack Idea

There's a vegetable garden at the greenhouse where I work. A few days ago, I was tasked to pull the last of the cool-season veggies out, as they were well past their prime. However, a couple of kohlrabi "bulbs" were still good, so of course I brought them home to eat. This post is dedicated to that experiment.

Kohlrabi is the same species of plant as kale, collard greens, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussel's sprouts, and broccoli. However, it is the only variant of cole crop on which the stem is the desired portion. As it is the same thing as broccoli, it tastes like broccoli stems.

When my supervisor told me that (I had never eaten kohlrabi before), I had an idea. Raw broccoli is best eaten, in my opinion, with ranch dressing. So I made this.


Yes, it's gone supernova in the picture, but you can still see what's happening. I peeled and thin-sliced the kohlrabi and dipped it in ranch, heavily garnished with purslane leaves. Both the purslane and the kohlrabi had been harvested on the same day they were eaten, and the whole thing provided a good side dish with dinner.

And I'm about to repeat the process for lunch!

Next post: summer landscaping.

No comments:

Post a Comment