Saturday, May 4, 2013

Another Plant Sale! (Part 2)

Now I'll bring you the other half of the plant sale pictures! The unfortunate weather really hurt our plant sale, and I had to move a lot of these plants back to the greenhouse today. However, during my time at work, I did get to see several people construct collections of plants to take home. It's always inspiring to see the conspiratory glint in people's eyes when they're choosing plants. That kept me upbeat even though it was 37 degrees Fahrenheit and drizzling out.

Pictured here is the sage and the tarragon. My sage isn't nearly this big, but I know it's outside, so perhaps it will be before long.


I took this picture just to show the scale of this sale. This shot encompasses roughly one-fourth of the offerings. We had two whole tables for non-tomato vegetables. A table for tomatoes (and some on the floor and other tables). At least a table and a half for herbs. Two tables and a lot of floor space for ornamentals. You can see some of this and more below.


These, I believe, are some of the tomatoes and peppers.


These are the big tomatoes. These sold out on the first day of the sale, unsurprisingly.


Here are the other vegetables (like rhubarb, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, and strawberries).


This shot shows some of the ornamental combo planters, the few grasses we had, and more vegetables.


This is all the combo planters, as well as the geraniums. All the pink geraniums sold.


I've never seen an ornamental pepper bearing fruit before. While I'd much rather eat these peppers than merely look at them, they are very pretty. I would recommend them as patio plantings outside a Mexican or Thai restaurant.


Ah, one of the members of my to-get list. Dichondra 'Silver Falls.' In the far right of the picture, you can also see Dichondra 'Emerald Falls.' I'll leave it to you to decipher these names.


These are amaranth plants (Amaranthus 'Velvet Curtains,' I think). Amaranth can be grown for aesthetics, their leaves (used like any other leafy green), their grains (popular in ancient Mexico), or their pigments (used by Native Americans as a red dye). I transplanted these, so I feel like I've watched them grow up. If I had a garden, I definitely would have bought at least one of these.


That's all the documentation I have for the plant sale, but enjoy this flower.


What plants would you try to grow if circumstances were just slightly different? What plants are you trying within your circumstances?

Next post: state park adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment