Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Great Garden Planting of 2013: Before

Since the rain finally took a break, my mom's garden finally got tilled a few days ago. That means I came home at the perfect time: time to plant!

Here's the plan--Mom makes fantastic salsa, which requires tomatoes, peppers, and onions. On top of that, she likes salads, and wilted lettuce salads in particular. So she's planting tomatoes, peppers, onions, and lettuce.

Mom likes 'Supersteak' tomatoes, so that's what she planted.


The peppers are 'California Wonder,' and will bear green fruits. Green bell peppers are my favorite kind.

 

The cultivar of lettuce Mom's planting is 'Green Salad Bowl.' More interesting lettuces exist, but this one will serve her purposes just fine.


These are the onion sets she's using. I find it pretty awesome that onions like this can grow into full-grown plants. Plants are just amazing like that.


These petunias are one reason I'm glad I'm not living at home this summer. Mom can have fun deadheading them. I'm sure she'll enjoy them anyway, though.


I got home at prime planting time, but I missed the height of the azaleas. Mom has pink, white, and purple azaleas, and these blurry pictures merely hint at what they must have looked like a week and a half ago.




What's going in your garden this summer (or, if you merely wish you had one, what do you wish you could plant)? What annual ornamentals are you planting?

Next post: the aftermath of planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment