Friday, May 24, 2013

The Dawn of Summer, Part III


This is the third installment of my ongoing series on summer's sprouting. Today we're going to see some of summer's best beauties, as well as a big, expensive toy. For more on that, read on.
 
To begin, here is a white clover flower. It isn't big, or showy, or even in focus, but it does make one more hesitant to use broadleaf herbicides on the lawn.
 


This picture sums up my feelings about irises: they're regal and always surprising. I've seen the lavender/periwinkle color before, but the pink/purple/gold variety is new to me. I don't think you can go wrong with color combinations when it comes to irises.


Even the necrotic tissue below that bud is elegantly shaped. That's impressive.


Here's a better shot of the multicolored blooms. Each color brings new sophistication to the whole. Stay tuned to my next couple of "Dawn of Summer" posts for more iris configurations.


The other great flower I noticed while I was home was peonies. According to my mother, peonies smell like roses used to. It's a vaguely sweet smell that enters your nostrils subtly, like the scent of marigolds. However, the smell of peonies is less controversial than that of marigolds. We had some peonies in my house for a couple of days over the weekend, and it was a pleasant experience.


See the sign on the tree in the picture above? That's a "No Trespassing" sign. However, I braved the warning to get a better shot of some peonies hanging out with yet another color of irises. The gold and maroon remind me of a crown.


I'm not entirely certain about the identity of this bush. The flowers look like dogwood flowers, but I've never seen a dogwood bush. The plant sure stands out, though. It must be fifteen feet tall.


See? The petals have the characteristic notches that dogwood flowers do. I wonder if dogwood can be trained or bred into bush form.


Lastly, a random neighborhood shot. This Corvette looks like something Adam West would drive.



Have you ever seen a plant in a form you didn't think possible? What colors of irises have you seen lately?

Next post: possibly potherbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment