Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Dawn of Summer, Part V


Hello again. I hope your Memorial Day was a sunny one, though I know it wasn't for many. Today I approach the end of my walk through summer's start.
 

As you can see, these variegated hosta just glisten in the sun. I'd love to see these in bloom! I wonder what color their flowers are.


Though blurry, you can see how lovely this peony is. This bloom allows us a view of what I imagine to be its stamens (in pink).


This display of irises is what inspired me to take all these pictures. I was impressed with the sheer variety that was stuffed into this space. It's a hodgepodge, but it's tastefully done.


Let's explore all the colors that come together to compose that hedge. First are these royal purple and white irises. I like these because the contrast accentuates both of the flower's colors.



These "antique" pink irises have a much milder color, so they aren't striking, per se. However, these are the best example of an elegant iris that I've seen to date.


 
 
These yellow irises take up most of the strip of grass. They aren't as bold or dainty as the last two. They're kind of in between. However, a hedge composed solely of bold flowers or solely of dainty flowers wouldn't be as interesting as this combination is, so the yellow blooms do add to the whole.
 

 Lastly are these maroon and gold dwarf irises. While the first thing that I think of upon seeing these is Harry Potter (yes, sadly I was one of those middle schoolers with a Gryffindor-striped tie), they're pleasing even outside of those thoughts. Maroon isn't a typical flower color, so it attracts the eye more than the yellow alone would.


What do you think about that iris collection? What combinations of colors would you choose, if you could choose any of them? (Personally, if I could have a hedge of irises, I would like some of the yellow and maroon, some lavender, and some of the purple and white for a sunset effect.)

Next post: the end of the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment