Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Fresh, Free, and Foraged

My posts about henbit, yucca, and invasive plants have reminded me of my enthusiasm for foraged foods. I love fresh produce (hence this blog), and I love spending as little money as possible. These two facets of my being are both satisfied by picking wild blackberries or eating dandelions. Wild-grown food can be just as nutritious and tasty as home-grown or locally grown produce that you buy. The difference is, it's free.

Now, while I also love being adventurous and trying new things, caution is necessary when it comes to eating wild plants. Here's an analogous example. Poison ivy and Virginia creeper are very similar. You can rub one all over you all day long and be fine; the other, not so much. So, you have to positively, 100% identify that Virginia creeper before you come in contact with it. The same accuracy is even more necessary when it comes to eating things you find.

This brings me to the point of today's post. I have long been searching for a reference guide to help me positively identify wild, edible plants in my region. So far, I haven't had much luck--until now. This week I discovered a book called Wild Edibles of Missouri, by Jan Phillips. It was published in 1978, and it has since gone out of print. However, the fine people at the Missouri Department of Conservation have uploaded the entire book in PDF format, and it is available to the public for free. It's even illustrated!

I have looked through most of this book at this point, and it is both accessible and factual. It includes safety warnings, recipes, and other helpful advice. However, I would like to point out that the book mentions that the Kentucky coffeetree has edible parts, which is untrue. The beans of this tree were used extensively by pioneers to make a kind of "coffee," but they are toxic to humans and many livestock animals. As a present-day reader, just realize that this book was written 35 years ago, so its information may not be up to date. That said, it contains great information on dozens of plants that can help sustain your body functions. If you heed the safety recommendations listed in the book, use common sense, and avoid the Kentucky coffeetree, you should be fine.

Do you enjoy wild bounties? What is safe/not safe to eat in your area?

Next post: springtime in full bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment