Monday, April 1, 2013

The Latest and Greatest in Chard

I don't recall how many Swiss chard seedlings I had last time I posted about them, but at current count I have ten. There are two sets of three and two sets of two. All the sets are clumped together, and to me the number ten signals transplant time. If any others poke their heads out, they will be removed. I don't need more than ten producing five-color silverbeet plants.

Here are the seedlings before transplanting:





Sadly, two of the seedlings didn't make it. One had a poor root system (maybe I waited too long to move these little tykes), and the other had marginal necrosis on its cotyledons, which indicated poor health to me. So I ended up with eight total plants. I am totally happy with this arrangement. Here is the final arrangement. My camera does not like this chard basket. If you can't see, there are two rows of four seedlings. Hopefully these guys will be happier this way.


So that's what's going on with my chard! I'm excited to see the true leaves when they emerge. Are you transplanting anything fun this spring?

Next post: who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment