Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Treats for the Senses

I went on a walk around campus the other day to capitalize on the beautiful weather (which is still persisting here, by the way). On my journey I encountered fresh waves of brilliant blooms, and I knew I had to share them. I only wish that I could somehow document and share how they all smell, because that's one of the best parts about spring.

First is one of the many kinds of magnolia trees around here. This one is not blooming as prolifically as others I've seen, but it had marvelous color.

Yes, it rained about fifteen minutes after this photo was taken.

Here's a closer shot.


I also love the buds on this tree. Flower buds like this (irises, for example) always remind me of lipstick.


When I took this picture, my camera's viewfinder told me, "Bravo! It's perfectly focused on the flower, creating a depth-of-field effect." However, what it really meant was, "That was a great shot of the mulch below that flower. That's as in-focus as mulch gets." It's the thought that counts.


The other fantastic flowers I saw on this trip were on this bush. I didn't even see them at first--I was walking about five feet away from them when a wall of scent hit me. Then I looked. These look gorgeous (whatever they are), and they smell even better. And I actually got them in focus.


Scott was with me on my walk, and he can barely smell anything, but even he noticed the powerful aroma on these bountiful blossoms.


Have you ever smelled a plant before you saw it? Do you have any idea what that white-flowering bush is?

Next time: a brief spring favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment