Thursday, April 4, 2013

Hints of Hope for the Chard

Yesterday I posted about the troubles my seedlings are having. My Swiss chard plants have started to droop over, though otherwise they look healthy. I asked one of my more plant-literate friends about this issue, and she suggested that the problem may be due to inadequate light. Since I don't have a grow light (or indeed any artificial light sources) in that part of the room, this is entirely possible.

So, I have moved my chard farm directly onto the windowsill, like this:


I haven't yet noticed any definite signs of improvement, but hopefully this will help. In other news, my thyme seedlings look just a tiny bit bigger today than I've previously noticed. Note how two of the center seedlings are growing into each other. That wasn't like that two days ago.


If my chard doesn't get better, I have two options for recourse: I could start a new set of seeds and get a grow light (which I want to do anyway), or I could buy some established plants from the Horticulture Club sale in a few weeks. I do love supporting Hort Club, and they're offering Bright Lights/Rainbow Chard/Five-color Silverbeet, which is the exact same variety that I'm growing!

Growing plants isn't always easy, especially if you don't have a yard. Maybe it will work out, though. Have your indoor growing endeavors been successful?

Next post: invasive plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment