Sunday, April 21, 2013

What I Harvested from the 2013 Spring Sale

I have the most exciting kind of news--I have new plants! I bought two vegetable plants from the plant sale for myself, and I bought one for a friend. Here's the scoop.

The first plant is sage. This, from what I've gathered, is just garden-variety (pun?) sage, and I'm fine with that. I love sage for cooking and general eating purposes. When I was younger, we had one that was in a gigantic container, and it was a veritable bush. I hope this little plant can get that big.


Generally, sage is pubescent (meaning the leaves have tiny hairs all over them). The sage bush we had when I was little was hairy. This seedling, so far, is not. Maybe when it gets bigger it will develop hair.

This next plant is a first for me: a tomato plant! This variety is called 'Yellow Pear.' It produces hundreds of cherry-sized, pear-shaped, tangy, yellow tomatoes throughout the summer. It's also indeterminate and can grow up to seven feet tall (so I'm on the lookout for a large container and a tomato cage!). I'm very excited to try this. My mom is babysitting this and the sage until I move.


Lastly, I bought a Mr. Stripey tomato plant for Scott's parents. This variety produces gigantic (1-2 pound) fruits with red and yellow striping. These tomatoes also have a very high sugar content. Hopefully it works out for them!


That seems like a small harvest (a lilliputian bounty, anyone?), but greatness from small beginnings, right? What odd tomato cultivars have you encountered this season? Does sage usually lack pubescence when it's young? What plants are you trying out for the first time?

Next post: updates on my existing plants, plus an interesting tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment