Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Spring Begins (For Real This Time)

I have returned to campus and classes. The weather seems significantly warmer now, which is a plus. Also a plus are some flowers I've seen since returning. However, first I'd like to show you some flowers that I found at home.

These are boy flowers, or flamingo flowers. There were some hot-pink ones at the greenhouse, but my mother has this white variety. It has three blooms on it. It must be happy. The first bloom hasn't colored up completely, but the venation at this green stage is just as attractive as the white color of its more mature counterpart.


Said counterpart shown here:


Shortly after I arrived on campus, Scott gave me this daisy (?). Isn't it sweet?


Then today, as I was walking home from class, I noticed all these trees with bright orange blooms on them. They look almost tropical, but I have no idea what kind of trees these are. Do you? I wish more plants on campus were labelled.


This group of trees is a refreshing sight for tired eyes, much like orange soda is refreshing in general. At one end of these rows was this tree, a redder variety.


This is a close-up of the red variety's blooms. I saw a few people straying from the sidewalk today to get a closer look at the exotic flowers. They certainly are unusual.


Now here are some closer shots of the orange variety's flowers. I preferred this color, as did whoever landscaped this area. Pay no attention to the construction in the background!


My favorite photograph of today is a tie between this one and the daisy picture.


This is as close as I got. These flowers don't seem to have any petals to speak of. The most prominent parts are the stamens (the white stalks with brown tips--the male reproductive parts) and the ovaries (the red bulges). Or at least that's what they appear to be.


Lastly, here's a shot of the longer row of these trees. I don't ordinarily like homogenous rows of trees, but these are so fetching that I quite enjoy the arrangement.


Do you have any idea what kind of trees these are? Have you ever seen an appealing tree you wished you could identify?

Next post: tiny troubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment