Saturday, April 6, 2013

Henbit: Bypassed Beauty

As promised, I am dedicating today's post to an underappreciate spring flower: henbit. Lamium amplexicaule is a naturalized broadleaf species, originally from Eurasia and North Africa. You may recognize it from just about everywhere you've ever been.


This common plant often becomes a noxious weed, though I'm not sure if this species is technically invasive. All the same, I wanted to write about it because it has truly beauteous coloration and flower formation. Its flowers almost resemble a tiny purple pitcher plant, as the fused corolla is long and narrow.


Another cool fact I just found while researching this overlooked plant (thanks Eat the Weeds!)  is that henbit is edible. It's actually a close relative of mint. Next time I pass by the photographed cluster, I'm going to have to try some (or, more likely, pick them all and have a salad). I always like plants better if they're edible. But for the purposes of this blog post, I just wanted to highlight henbit's striking colors and shapes.


Above everything else, seeing henbit means spring is on the way, and that's always encouraging. Have you ever been surprised at an edible plant? (I have--see my post on yuccas.) Have you ever discovered a cool plant that's been under your nose for years? Would you try eating henbit if you saw some?

Next post: a cheery spring display.

No comments:

Post a Comment