Monday, March 11, 2013

A Dream Garden: Sun-Loving Succulent Collection

As I am still young in my horticultural pursuits, I have yet to actualize most of my gardening dreams. However, I dream up and plan out ideas way too far in advance, so I have several lists of different kinds of "gardens" I wish to cultivate someday.

Since yesterday's post was all about succulents, I'm posting my dream succulent collection.

This list also contains some cacti, to which I am also partial. I'm not sure how I'd want to arrange all these species. I'd probably plant them in three or four different containers. Anyway, here is my dream succulent collection.

Note: I do not have my own pictures of these plants, but the links will take you to pictures.

Jovibarba 'Murtal': The spherical growth habit and clean green coloration draw me to this species. It's cheery and small, making it a good option for a backdrop to a showier plant.

Sempervivum 'Purple Beauty': Green and purple is one of my favorite color combinations. This variety of sempervivum captures perfectly the potential of these two colors occupying adjacent spaces.

Sedum dasyphyllum 'Major': So many succulents are sharp and spiny. This variety of sedum is the exact opposite--it's round and cuddly. It would make a great filler for more show-stopping species (see Aloe dorothea below).

Aloe dorothea: One of the main reasons succulents are so popular is their exotic appearances. What could be more exotic than a prehistoric-looking red aloe? The redder, the better, for me.

Agave parryi 'JC Raulston': As I mentioned the last time I talked about agaves, you can extract nourishment from these plants, but I don't know how. Besides, my interest in this plant is its aesthetic value. I'm no tequila hound. The creamy blue-gray of this variety, along with its fleshy leaves and dark spines, make it the Beauty and the Beast of plants.

Senecio rowleyanus: String of pearls is a very aptly named plant. It is obviously desirable--it is a treasure trove in its own right.

Opuntia compressa: In a shocking twist, only one of the plants listed here is edible. This is it: the Eastern prickly pear cactus. Its pads and fruit are edible, and thankfully there are some spineless varieties.

Opuntia rutila: Not all cacti are edible, but they are still fascinating plants. This Opuntia has very attractive spines, reminiscent of a calico cat. The oval shape of its pads is, in my opinion, one of the best shapes cacti provide.

Cylindropuntia echinocarpa: Another species with flashy spines. These are incredibly white, like stars blinking out from a plant. They have great chartreuse blooms, too. Chartreuse is one of my favorite colors lately.

Does any particular combination of these plants appeal to you? I can imagine that sempervivum with the sedum, the aloe with the jovibarba and the string of pearls, and the agave by itself. If it looked really lonely, you could put a few small sempervivums around it and fill the remaining space with string of pearls.

Next post: my long-awaited seed sowing!

No comments:

Post a Comment