Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Cusp of Spring on Campus

While my primary goal for this blog is to capture my claustrophobic gardening attempts, my first seeds are still in transit, and it won't do much good to show my planting preparations before the seeds arrive. So while I wait, here are some photos I took around campus yesterday.

It is still snowy here, but the plants know spring is coming: all the trees are sporting buds. These trees in front of the Natural Resources building have some neat twisty branches and interesting orangey-red bark.


Here's a somewhat closer shot of that coloration. You can also see how much of the snow melted.


This tree has the snuggliest-looking fuzzy buds I've ever seen. And even the slightest tinge of green helps with all this white everywhere.


More of the cute little guys.


And wouldn't you know it, as I was walking about taking pictures, a random guy on the street gave me this flower arrangement! He recognized me from one of his classes, said he's taking floral design and didn't have much use for this piece. Scott didn't believe me when I told him that story, but it's true! It's quite nice, and it just goes to show there's some goodness in people (and a lot of goodness in plants). I like how it sticks out against the neutral bricks.


And a close-up for detail. I'd be horrid at floral design, but the instructors obviously know what they're doing.


This is the tree that made me want to walk around taking pictures. It's just a crabapple tree (Malus sp.), but it's got the prettiest fruit I've seen this season.


The fruit, it turns out, doesn't look so nice up close where you can see how shriveled it is, but at this distance it's gorgeous.


More buds! I couldn't get a close shot of a bud against the bark, but the white sticks out like neon when you see it.


And closer:


These trees are wearing vivacious red as well; they create a wall of feistiness all in a row like that.


Throughout the year, I'm sure there will be flashier and lovelier foliage around here than buds and bare bark, but I'm trying to enjoy the little things. Besides, you can't see unusual bark colors when there are leaves everywhere!

Next post: my State of the Plants Address. Or a look at the university's private plant collection. Whichever comes first.

No comments:

Post a Comment