Saturday, March 9, 2013

University Greenhouse, Part III: The Revenge of the Succulents

For a university in the midwest, this greenhouse had an impressive collection of succulents and cacti. I captured the most interesting specimens.

But first: pinks! These Dianthus flowers are related to carnations, and they were in top form. I love the swirly anthers. They make the flowers look like they just walked out of a fairy tale.


Now, here's where the succulent action starts. First up is what looks like an  Echevaria, though it was unidentified. This one looks a little dusty, but it really stands out against the sedum, with its cooler colors and gracious curves.


The second succulent I photographed was this conveniently identified Kalanchoe. Even the succulents are in bloom! I had never seen a succulent with leaves so far off the soil  before. They're like little succulent trees.


Here's more sedum! We grew a lot of this when I was a small child. It always grew well for us, and it's fun to play with when you're six.


This is one of the more novel succulents, albeit unidentified. My friend Jing said it reminded her of beans. I just wonder how it gets food, since it doesn't look like it photosynthesizes much.


Meet Rabeia albinota. This succulent is unique because of its texture. Most succulents seem to be smooth and (somewhat) uniformly colored. This plant as a backdrop to a really showy, colorful Echevaria or red aloe in a container would be really sharp.


Here is the first picture of my latest obsession: agaves. Agaves mean tequila and agave nectar, though I sadly don't know how to extract either of those from the plants. However, they are fierce and gorgeous all at once, so I definitely want some someday. This one reminds me of Agave parryi 'JC Raulston,' often mentioned on Danger Garden, one of my favorite blogs.


Here's another angle. Are those markings on the leaves dust marks? They add visual interest, but I'm not sure how they came to be.


Fortunately, this agave was labeled. It is Agave verschaffeltii. I'm not crazy about the necrotic/woody portions, but these too would do well in a container. They're like a lite version of other agaves.


This succulent was also unidentified, but its variegation is quite attractive. I don't know if those protrusions are spiky or hairy, but they add aesthetic value as well. This little guy probably doesn't get very big, which is a plus for people with limited space. You can also see that woodworrel about to bloom. Woodsorrel is one noxious weed, but its leaves and pods do taste quite good.


Next time I post greenhouse pictures, I'll start with some exotic aloes and move into even more arid climes. But I haven't gotten all the succulenting out of my system yet, so--

Next post: my dream succulent container collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment