Thursday, March 28, 2013

Yuccas Galore!

I took another walk around town. A black cat crossed my path twice, so I believe I am under the community's auspices in displaying photos of the neighborhood flora. Over the next couple of posts, I will focus on two interesting trends: spring wildflowers appearing immediately after snowfall and yuccas. For added fun I'll throw in a couple of other interesting plants I noticed in my travels.

I'll start with the yuccas. This is just a smattering of the many, many individuals I've seen around. I'll say it again: when yucca blooming time comes around, I'm going to feast on these suckers' flowers. Most of these plants are just randomly placed in yards, seemingly. I'm okay with that.



Though yuccas are from much warmer climes, most of these seem to be handling our winters very well.


I keep saying that the daffodils around here are sad or tired looking, but they're doing okay after the snow. Just a bit droopy.



Look at the stalk on this one! It's easily taller than I am.


These yuccas looked a little different than all the Yucca glauca around town. Judging by the spiral fibers among their leaves, I'm guessing they're Yucca filamentosa. You can sort of see them in this picture.



There's even a yucca in my yard! I had no idea! This means that not all of the yucca harvest this summer  will be stolen.


Are yuccas common where you live? Are there any other plants that seem like an odd choice for your region that you see everywhere anyway? Have you ever eaten yucca?

Next post: wildflowers proclaim spring after enduring hardship.

No comments:

Post a Comment