Thursday, March 14, 2013

Surprise! Magnolias, Future Spaces, and More

I lied. Yesterday I said I would post more greenhouse pictures, including Theobroma cacao. I say a lot of things.

I'm actually going to discuss an unusual campus landscaping choice, examine my future in claustrophobic gardening, and make good on a promise I made quite a while ago. I'll actually get back to the tropical greenhouse haven tomorrow--I mean it this time.

So let's get into today's first topic: magnolia trees. Trees in the Magnolia genus are common in the southern United States, making it somewhat of an odd choice for a midwestern university (and I mean we are in the middle of the midwest). This is the biggest one I've seen. I pass these on my way home from work.

Sugar magnolia, blossoms bloomin', head's all empty and I don't care...
Grateful Dead, anyone?

This one looks a bit greener.


I think magnolias are a questionable choice because they don't seem to fare too well in our cold, oddball winters. Love that glossy foliage, though.


Magnolias produce beautiful, sweet-smelling white flowers during the warmer seasons. I hope these will flower this year!

See why these aren't an obvious choice for temperate climates? They get to looking puny, like this.


These have daffodils coming up at their bases. That's nice and springy. Daffodils are some of my favorite spring flowers. If only this pair bloomed simultaneously.
 


Next order of business: I'm going to be moving into successively larger spaces this summer and fall. Not by much, but I'll take whatever space I can get for growing things. This picture gives you an idea of the kind of space I'm going to have for growing plants outdoors over the summer. There is a grassy strip between the sidewalk and the building, so that will be available, and then the grass between the building and the car will be available, though that's on the north side of the house.


My gardening this summer is going to be a work in progress, but it will get better in the fall. The best part about my fall apartment is that it has a deck. That means that even though I have no southern windows, my phytofriends will get southern exposure and fresh air!

On the other hand (as you can see), there's no front yard space at all. There may or may not be grass behind this building. If there is, I'll find a way to capitalize on it. If not, at least those windows are nice and big. They're much bigger than they look.
Finally, about a week ago I said I would find a picture of my desert rose in bloom. I now have that picture. First, though, here's a picture of a desert rose in winter for comparison:

Not exceptional.
And here's mine in full flower:

Exceptionally phenomenal. I only bought this plant for its interesting foliage and trunk shape. Boy was I surprised.
There you have it. Have you ever encountered strange landscaping decisions? Do you grow plants in or around tiny apartments? Have you ever been surprised by a plant?

And last but not least, I promise this time:

Next post: Greenhouse Pictures, Part VI: Tropical Oasis II: Theobroma Boogaloo.

No comments:

Post a Comment