Monday, March 25, 2013

University Greenhouse, Part VII: The Final Chapter

At last, we have made it to the end of the greenhouse adventure I had weeks ago. Don't worry--there are still some interesting specimens left to see. For example, today we start with an unnamed tropical plant with pink-tipped foliage. You don't see that everyday in the midwestern U.S. Also, note the healthy fern behind it.


 
Next we have Pellionia pulchra, also known as the watermelon vine. This plant has a most interesting combination: subdued colors and a lively pattern. Its purple stems are nearly as faded-looking as the leaves, but the venation attracts the eye and the attention, almost--you guessed it--like watermelons.
 


This leaf was unidentified, but I imagine it is some kind of fern. It was probably eighteen inches from one end to the other.


You can get an idea of how big these variegated leaves are from looking at the fern fronds below...


...or you can compare my hand to them!


This is another gargantuan leaf. It is as black in person as it appears in the photo. There are a few of these plants in the greenhouse where I work, so I water these weekly. They're pretty, but the size of the leaves makes them topheavy.


Here's another comparison photo for you.


More hot pink-accented foliage. You don't think of plants as being glamorous, but so many are. No wonder so many designs (in architecture, fashion, and etc--think of good china) are based on plants.


This is a shot of the underside of those leaves. The dark variegation on the top is pretty, sure, but the underside is funky too.


Next is the final flower of this greenhouse trip: a member of the Anthurium genus. These plants are sometimes known as "flamingo flowers" or "boy flowers," according to Wikipedia. I actually have one of these in my house, and it's blooming now, only its blooms are white. These are probably more typical, judging by the common name's reference to flamingos.


That ends my series of greenhouse pictures. I hope you've enjoyed the ride, and should I return to this greenhouse in the future, I will capture flowers and other interesting things that I may have missed my first time through.

Next post: my springtime hopes get smashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment