Monday, March 18, 2013

The Flowers of Spring

Because the forecast is calling for light snow today, I'm going to cheer everyone up with some pictures (and a video) of some springy flowers that I photographed with a friend last weekend. My neighbors at home have daffodils that bloom at least three weeks before anyone else's do. It never fails, and they comprise the sweetest sight you can imagine when everything else in the neighborhood is dark and bleary.

To paraphrase a great poet: a pop of color is a pop of color, no matter how small.


For comparison, these are the daffodils in my yard.



Not quite there yet.
These are some better shots of the flowers. Unlike most plants with showy blooms, you can't go wrong with having a lot of daffodils. As my mother put it, they aren't ostentatious.



This photo is property of Breanna Akins.
We also found this on our journey to capture the daffodils. I've not seen foliage like that before.


When I was home, I unknowingly took a picture of two crocus plants. My friend Bre later supplied me with more pictures of them, so now you can witness their development over the course of a week.

Week 1:


Week 2:

Photo courtesy of Breanna Akins.
And here's what those two will look like in another couple of weeks.

Again, courtesy of Breanna Akins.
What flowers are springing up in your neck of the woods? Do you agree that one can't have too many daffodils?

Next post: more greenhouse adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment