Wednesday, March 6, 2013

State of the Plants Address

As I'm still waiting for my (secret surprise) seeds to come in, I will show off what plants I already have. The first plant I have is some wheatgrass. I planted wheat for one of my classes, and after it sprouted we were allowed to take them home. So I did.


Here's a close-up. The blades are looking a little pale, but I fed it yesterday, so it should get back to a healthier green soon. Needs a haircut, though!


No, I don't use this wheatgrass for smoothies, nor am I going to make flour. I just like the added greenery. Oh, and as you can see, my wheat likes hanging out with the Bodhisattva over there.


The next plant is my zucchini. I planted this in class also, but wasn't really supposed to take it home. Oh well! Since it was planted on the first of February (and since zucchini plants mature according to their ages, not their environments), this particular specimen probably won't produce. Or if it does, the fruits will be almost microscopic. But I'm giving it a good home while I can.


The cute red colander it's resting in is going to become my wheat's home (it looks crowded) very soon. As soon as I stop being too lazy to do it, that is.


And finally, here is my tillandsia. It's a Bromeliad, more specifically a species that doesn't need soil to grow. I need to mix some orchid fertilizer with the water I give this little guy, but I haven't done that yet. This plant too adds greenery to the room, and every little bit helps.


And here's a better shot. Yes, the glass of the globe is filthy. The city water leaves stains on everything. At work (I work in a greenhouse) it's a pain because you don't want to get any water on any foliage; if you do, it leaves a thick white ring. It's pretty gross.


Also, in addition to the two packets of seeds I am expecting, I have planted four more plants in class and will get to bring those home eventually. One of them is a Kentucky coffeetree, which is definitely not going to work in any small space (it grows up to 80 feet tall and drops toxic seeds every year), but I will definitely keep the other three. I'll make a post showing them off when the time comes.

Next post: University collection greenhouse tour (?).

P.S. Though it snowed last night, there was no accumulation, so I will be able to go home this weekend. That means I can photograph the plants there (some of which are mine) to show off as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment