Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Little Post, Big News

Yeah, yeah, I know. I said I'd post greenhouse pictures today. And I'm not. Again. But I have marvelous news! However, I may have lied in the title: the news is actually very small. Why am I lying so much on this blog?


My first two seedlings of five-color silverbeet (AKA Swiss chard 'Bright Lights' or 'Rainbow') have sprouted! See those exotic stem colors? Those will become even brighter as the plants grow. Each seedling is around an inch tall right now.


I first saw these Sunday night. They were about half an inch tall then. What's remarkable is that they must have popped up within a two-hour timespan, because they weren't there yesterday evening. Then I watched a movie, and when I came back, ta da! They had made their appearance. Still no sign of any other seedlings (though I'm proud just to have two).

I just checked my basket for new arrivals, and there haven't been any, but these two are actually taller now, and their leaves are bigger. So exciting. I'm growing food in a dorm room!

Next post: spring shows its face on campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment